Today I am sharing a costume tutorial I put together for the lovely people at ThredUp. This is a fun, no sew tutorial that will help you turn your little cutie into a garden flower with birds and butterflies buzzing around her head! You can start off with some basic pieces, like a bright colored shirt paired with some green leggings or skirt or what the heck why not both! Then get creative with it.
Here’s what else I used:
7 sheets of pink felt for the petals (or any color you like)
2 sheets of yellow felt
some ribbon or velcro
4 pink pipe cleaners
3 yellow pipe cleaners
3 yellow craft pompoms
needle point pliers
and various decorative butterflies, birds, and ladybugs
1. Start by creating a collar out of a sheet of pink felt and ribbon. I cut a 6” strip of felt, then folded it in half to make it more rigid. Make your collar long enough to loosely fit your child, leaving a good amount of wiggle room. Glue ribbon or velcro to the ends of your collar.
2. Fold the remaining pink felt sheets in half, and cut out your petal shapes. Trim pink pipe cleaners to size, and use hot glue to adhere them to the center of 6 petals. Set the other petal aside for now.
3. Gather the felt at the base of each of the 6 petal to create dimension, and secure with hot glue.
4. Glue these petals around the outside of your collar, about halfway up. Shape the petals as you glue, and be sure to also adhere the petals near the top of the collar. This will give them extra support.
5. Glue the remaining 6 petals to the bottom of your collar, positioning them below and in between the top 6 petals.
6. Fold over and glue, or trim, and extra petal felt.
7. Now, Cut a 6” strip of yellow felt, fringing it on one end. Glue this strip to the inside of your collar to give the illusion of the flower’s center.
8. Time to make the stamens! Glue the three pompoms onto the ends of the yellow pipe cleaners.
9. Tightly wrap the three pipe cleaners around the center of the headband, while also twisting them together.
10. And now onto my daughter’s favorite part. Add springy wire to your headband and attach all sorts of garden friends to the wires. We used butterflies, a humming bird, and ladybugs. Be creative and have fun with it!
(last image courtesy of thredup.com)
I will also be doing a DIY costume giveaway next week. Check back for the exciting details!!! UPDATE: Click here to enter the giveaway!